Lake Superior: General Regulations
Can I fish in sanctuaries or areas posted as closed?
Certain areas, some posted as fish sanctuaries, are closed to fishing. They include:
- French River (St. Louis County): From Lake Superior upstream to Minnesota Highway 61.
- Knife River (St. Louis and Lake counties): From the top of second falls to 100 feet downstream and from the bridge on Minneosta Highway 61 downstream to signs posted below the fish trap.
- Lester River (St. Louis County): Immediately downstream from he Superior Street bridge to the bottom of the first falls.
Although posted, some areas allow fishing at certain times. They include:
- Devil Track River (Cook County): Fishing allowed in this sanctuary from June 1 to August 31 from mile 1.1 to mile 1.6.
- Kadunce River (Cook County): Fishing allowed in this sanctuary from June 1 to August 31 between between mile 0.2 at the lower falls to mile 0.4.
- Gauthier Creek (Cook County): Entire stream open to fishing from June 1 to August 31.
Source: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 2016